Packing For Paris In December
Visiting Paris is always magical no matter what time of the year, however visiting during December tends to be a bit more magical with the holidays in full swing. The weather tends to be cold and crisp with some chances of rain so knowing what to pack for Paris in December can make sure you have one of the best experiences in the city during the most magical time of the year.
During December you can expect to see the streets all adorned with holiday decorations and lights. Even though the weather is cold, cafés are still bustling with people and the Christmas markets are in full swing.
If you’re heading to Paris in December here’s a packing list of ideas to help prep you for your trip and some outfit inspiration for what to pack.
The weather during December in Paris tends to be cold and cloudy. Average temperatures range from being in the 30s in the morning to high 40s in the afternoon. Maybe every now and then you can get a day that will reach 50, but don’t necessarily plan on that.
With the weather being cold and cloudy, you will want to make sure you pack appropriately and with the right accessories.
Some pieces to keep in mind will be layering tees or camis. You will want to bring a raincoat or some type of warm wool coat to keep you warm and dry. Of course, you can always stop into a local café for a warm glass of red wine to warm you up.
Shoes For Paris In December
Paris always involves a lot of walking no matter what season but you will want to pack a pair of sneakers. Everyone in Paris wears sneakers these days, popular ones are VEJA, Stan Smith, and Converse. You can also take a pair of ballet flats and waterproof booties for when it rains. If you’ll be wearing a lot of dresses or skirts, you might want to pack tall boots as well.
You can see my entire post dedicated to the best walking shoes for Paris here and the ones I find the most comfortable during my trip.
I also carry around my Longchamp tote with an extra pair of shoes for the day. That way, if I want to stop and take pictures in one shoe but wear my sneakers to walk around, I can switch them out.
Also, Paris is not the place to break in new shoes so make sure you don’t bring a brand new pair to walk the city.
Whenever I travel to Paris, I prefer to look more like a local vs. a tourist so I try and stay very neutral when it comes to my outfits. I make sure to pack versatile pieces which can be mixed and matched with each other.
Make sure to pack pieces that you can use for layers. Since the weather will be on the cold side, it’s best to have layers you can wear under sweaters, a trench coat, or a blazer. My favorite layering tops are from Cuyana.
Packing basics will go a long way and actually give you more outfits. A good list to start with would be a pair of blue or black denim. A pair of brown or black trousers and a long black skirt or dress.
You will see a lot of Parisian women in mostly jeans and trousers. Depending on the weather some will still have on dresses or skirts with a jacket. No athleisurewear so leave your yoga pants at home, please. Shoes will be mostly sneakers and booties, a slingback , and tall boots as it gets cooler can also be an option.
Another thing to think about is if any of your pieces need to be tailored before your trip. I always make sure to take anything to the tailor a few weeks before the trip to ensure they are ready in time.
Travel Gear For December
When it comes to travel gear, I’ve learned over the years what works the best and items you may not think about but have helped me. When it comes to traveling on a plane this is what I always have with me. A great carry-on bag for the plane which is comfortable enough to carry everything I need. I have this carry-on bag but Everlane also has an affordable option. Inside the bag, I pack my eye mask, travel pillow, water bottle, and slippers ( I like to put these on when I am on the plane). Of course, my headphones are always with me as well as my Mer Sea wrap that goes everywhere.
Here are a few beauty tips for when I travel to Paris. I try to stay away from more than one alcoholic drink on the plane due to hydration. I also put this hydrating face mask on when I board to keep my face hydrated and use this eye cream when we land to help with puffiness.
For my suitcase, I use these Amazon suitcases and they have been great. I also use these packing cubes to help so I can pack more and these laundry bags. This luggage scale always goes with me so I know how heavy my bags are, and this travel steamer is perfect and works very well.
Included is a downloadable PDF packing list. Print this and check it off to ensure you have everything for your trip. You can download the packing list HERE.
- Everlane Black Cashmere Crew– A cashmere sweater is always a necessity to pack for Paris. Everlane makes my favorite crew in multiple colors. I wear a medium in this sweater.
- COS Striped Sweater– Everyone needs at least one striped top to wear in Paris and I love this one from COS with the roll-neck and stripes at the bottom. Looks super cozy and classic.
- Banana Republic Leather Jacket– This leather jacket is not only chic but completely timeless.
- Banana Republic Navy Captain’s Blazer– Another classic, timeless piece is this navy blazer with gold buttons. You can wear this with black or blue denim and black pants as well. Polished and elevated yet simple at the same time. Just wear a cami, turtleneck, or long-sleeve tee underneath.
- Banana Republic Cashmere Wrap– A great piece for walks in the museum or sitting at dinner. You can wear this wrap dressed up or down. You can also belt it around the waist as well for an elevated look.
- Longchamp Large Tote– My favorite tote to carry around Paris. It’s easy to pack and easy to carry.
- & Other Stories Navy Silk Top– Love this beautiful silk ruffle top which comes in a few different colors. Wear the navy with denim, a black belt, and boots or with black pants.
- Club Monaco Black Belted Dress-For those days when you want to wear a simple yet beautiful black dress, boots, and cozy long coat. You can wear this dress to walk around during the day or for dinner out.
- Mango Black Flare Denim– Black denim is always a must and a flare look helps to dress the denim up it. Wear this denim with the cropped tweed jacket, navy silk top, or cashmere wrap and sweater.
- Mango Tweed Cropped Jacket– An incredibly chic jacket at an affordable price point. You will not only blend in wearing this jacket but you will feel uber chic at the same time.
- Mango Denim Shirt– A staple top you can wear with denim or trousers and sneakers.
- Banana Republic Black Leather Belt– Beautiful, classic leather black belt. Belts are having a moment right now specially worn with trousers. Also wear this beautiful belt with the AGOLDE straight-leg denim, navy silk ruffle top, and kitten heel booties for a gorgeous, effortless look.
- Everlane Black Way High Pants– High-waist pants that are not only stylish but comfortable enough to walk around all day.
- Mango Glitter Turtleneck– For evenings out wear this fun turtleneck to dinners or out for a cocktail.
- Cuyana Silk Cami– I always pack my silk camis when I head to Paris to layer under sweaters, jackets, and blazers.
- AGOLDE Straight Leg Denim– Blend in with the Parisians in this pair of straight-leg denim which is one of my favorites.
- Reformation Mason Pant Mushroom Color– One of my favorite styles of trousers, I have them in 3 colors. They are Classic and the fit is just perfect.
- & Other Stories Black Coat– A voluminous yet elegant coat to keep you warm yet stylish at the same time.
- YSL Small Crossbody– For a little splurge and to feel fancy, this darling YSL crossbody. You can’t fit much but what do you really need anyway? Lipstick and a hotel key.
- Cuyana Silk Pants– Gorgeous silk pants in a holiday red for a bit of festive celebrating in the city of lights. Wear these with the glitter turtleneck, tweed cropped jacket, or black cami for an evening out.
- Margaux Flats– Ballet flats are forever Parisian and these are comfortable enough for miles of walking.
- New Balance– Comfortable and on-trend at the moment are these New Balance sneakers. You can also go the Parisian route and wear VEJA, Stan Smith, or Converse.
- Waterproof Boot– Comfortable and waterproof these are perfect for walking the city or if you want something a bit fancier you can go with, Sam Edelman Kitten Heel Boot– A very walkable yet chic bootie.
- A.P.C. Grace Bag– Beautiful, classic, leather French brand handbag with designer looks but half the price.
Need some outfit inspiration for your Paris in December trip, here are several ideas to help you along the way. These combinations are all meant to help when deciding what to pack for your trip.
Paris In December Outfit Ideas
This article contains affiliate links if you should make a purchase, I will make a small commission. Merci
OTHER PARIS INFORMATION
Are you heading to Paris anytime soon? I have a lot of information that can hopefully help plan your visit.