How To Celebrate Valentine’s Day The French Way
Celebrating Valentine’s Day the French way is a little different than what we are used to in the states. They do celebrate Valentine’s Day in France, it’s known as, la Saint-Valentin and falls on February 14th.
It’s truly more of a romantic day for those in “love” versus a friendly gesture. And, kids do not exchange Valentine’s cards with friends at school as we do.
Valentine’s Day actually began as a Catholic holiday in France, the day is actually an official feast day, la fête de Saint Valentin. the feast day of Saint Valentin.
That doesn’t mean they don’t celebrate though. French people typically head out to dinner or will give gifts of jewelry or flowers to their loved ones on this day.
How To Say “Happy Valentine’s Day” in French
- Joyeuse Saint Valentine – Happy Valentine’s Day
- L’ amour– Love
- Je t’aime – I Love You
- Mon chéri– My Love
- Un bisou– A Kiss
Valentine’s Day Gifts For The Francophile
If you are the more traditional person and like to get gifts on Valentine’s Day, here are 11 gift ideas for the favorite Francophile in your life.
Gifts to cook with, read, and write with, and a few beauty gifts. Your Franchophile is sure to love any of these ideas.
1. Diptyque Candles
The ultimate French smell, give your favorite Francophile a beautiful Diptyque candle in either Rose or Tuberose. Not only will they love the incredible floral smells but also the gorgeous porcelain jar.
2. Parisian Froufrous Candies by Maison Boissier.
A beautiful pastel tin filled with ribbon candies in flavors like apricot, cherry, and raspberry.
3. For the scarf lover, give this Longchamp silk scarf with Paris print.
Surely, will brighten up her day plus add some chic to any outfit.
4. Mauviel Copper pan for the ultimate cook in your life.
Give them this gorgeous French saucepan from Mauviel who has been making copper cookware since 1830 in France.
5. For the interior lover in your life, give this Parisian Interiors book full of inspiration and classic decor.
6. Coffee lovers will appreciate this beautiful Bodum French Press in a rose color.
7. Personalized MERCI notecards to deliver and mail to friends and family.
8. Sézane Milo Bag is an incredibly gorgeous and chic leather bag from Sézane.
Classic and timeless, this bag will last for years.
9. MERSEA Amour Sweater that’s perfect for travel or lounging on the weekends.
With the heart detail on the sleeve and classic stripes, this sweater is always a favorite.
10. Perfect Medina Basket Bag
Handwoven in Morocco and perfect for a spring picnic. The heart adds a bit of whimsy.
11. Chanel Rouge Hydrating Lip Colour,
Go for a French girl’s lip with Chanel red lipstick.
This article contains affiliate links, if you should make a purchase I will make a small commission. Merci